Age: Preschool, Kindergarten
Space requirements: Open space
- Have the children set up in a small circle, with legs apart so their feet touch those of the children next to them. There should be enough space for a ball to pass between their legs.
- There should be 4-6 children in each group to allow for increased participation. If there are more children, use multiple circles.
- Without moving their feet or legs, children try to stop a ball from going between their legs, by bending at the waist and using their hands to knock the ball away.
- If the ball goes between a child’s legs, someone retrieves the ball and the game starts again. No one sits out and everyone continues to participate.
- Physical skills: sending and receiving an object; bending; reaching; eye-hand coordination; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: problem solving; cooperation; sharing
Adjust the challenge:
- Use a larger and softer ball to decrease the speed.
- Play sitting down.
- Use multiple balls.
- Progress to throwing and catching.
Activity modified from: Sudbury Children’s Services Physical Activity Resource Guide for Child Care Centres