Space requirements: Open space
- Have children march while standing in a circle.
- Call out the months of the year and when a child’s birthday month is called, they move to the centre of the circle and perform an on-the-spot activity such as jumping jacks.
- The children move back to the circle and another month is called.
- Physical skills: marching; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: listening and following instructions
Adjust the challenge:
- Instead of birthdays, you could use a variety of other identifiers: colour of clothing, age, favourite animal, first letter of a child’s name.
Activity modified from: Saskatchewan in motion Daily Physical Activity Manual