Age: Infant, Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten
Equipment: Cushions or pillows, blankets or sheets, chairs, boxes
Space requirements: Small space, open space
- Help your child build a fort, castle or obstacle course by using cushions, pillows, blankets, sheets, chairs or boxes.
- Take turns playing and climbing through.
- Physical skills: manipulating objects
- Non-physical skills: self-discovery; creative play; problem solving
Adjust the challenge:
- Reduce the amount of equipment available so children aren’t overwhelmed by all the options available.
- Add physical challenges such as jump over a pillow, crawl under a chair, slither through a tunnel. Use these challenges to play follow-the-leader in and around the fort.
Activity modified from: Manitoba in motion Kids in motion: An Early Start to Physical Activity for Infants, Toddlers and Preschoolers