Age: Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten
Equipment: Small ball, larger ball
Space requirements: Small space, open space
- Have children stand in a circle and pass around a small ball to represent a mouse.
- Once children are comfortable with passing around the ball, introduce a larger ball which will represent a cat.
- Have the children try to catch the mouse with the cat.
- Physical skills: sending and receiving an object; eye-hand coordination
- Non-physical skills: critical thinking; problem solving; cooperation; sharing
Adjust the challenge:
- Have children choose the objects they pass around the circle.
- Allow the children to change the direction of the balls.
- Add in a larger third ball to represent a dog.
Activity modified from: Saskatchewan in motion Daily Physical Activity Manual