Equipment: Hula hoops
Space requirements: Open space
- Scatter hula hoops throughout the space.
- Children move around the hoops by skipping, hopping, jumping and galloping.
- When prompted, children find a hoop to stand in. More than one child can stand in a hoop.
- Physical skills: movement skills; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: listening and following instructions; sharing; cooperation; decision making; critical thinking
Adjust the challenge:
- Use more hoops.
- Remove a hoop each round. More than one child can still stand in each hoop but this encourages additional problem solving and cooperation as more children will need to fit in each hoop.
Activity modified from: Ophea Early Learning Resource