Age: Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten
Equipment: Buckets or baskets, pieces of paper or envelopes
Space requirements: Small space, open space
- Set up several buckets or baskets around to room to serve as mailboxes.
- Give each child a piece of paper or an envelope which is a letter.
- Set it up so each letter corresponds with a specific mailbox using colours, shapes or numbers.
- Children deliver the letters one at a time.
- Have the children run, skip, hop or jump to deliver their letters to the mailboxes as fast as they can.
- Physical skills: running; eye-hand coordination; fine motor skills; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: sharing; cooperation; problem solving; critical thinking; colour recognition; shape recognition; number awareness
Adjust the challenge:
- Children can place the letters in any mailbox.
- Time the children to see how long it takes them to deliver all of the letters. Play again and encourage the children to work together to beat their previous time.
Activity modified from: A Hop, Skip and a Jump: Enhancing Physical Literacy