Age: Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten
Equipment: Dancing ribbons, music
Space requirements: Open space
- Give each child a dancing ribbon, made from a scarf, ribbon, tissue paper or toilet paper.
- Children dance with the ribbons.
- When the music stops, children throw their ribbons up in the air and try to catching it as it floats to the ground.
- Physical skills: dancing; rhythm; coordination; throwing; catching; eye-hand coordination
- Non-physical skills: self-discovery; creative play
Adjust the challenge:
- Encourage children to perform tricks before they catch their ribbons such as clapping their hands or turning around.
Activity modified from: A Hop, Skip and a Jump: Enhancing Physical Literacy (2nd Edition)