Space requirements: On-the-spot
- Have children march while scattered throughout the space. Ensure children have enough space to move around without bumping into someone else.
- Call out a sport and have the children demonstrate the action for 30 seconds. For example, children may pretend to dribble a ball for ‘basketball’ or throw imaginary punches for ‘boxing’.
- Physical skills: marching; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: listening and following instructions; self-discovery
Adjust the challenge:
- Demonstrate the sport movement for the children to follow.
- Use movements beyond just sports. Try animals or vehicles.
- Have children identify the movements.
Activity modified from: A Hop, Skip and a Jump: Enhancing Physical Literacy (2nd Edition)