Space requirements: Small space
- Have the children set up in a small circle.
- Encourage the children to try different ways of getting the ball around the circle.
- The child with the ball starts by choosing a way to send the ball to the next child. The following children do the same until the ball moves around the entire circle.
- The next child past the original sender then picks a new way to send the ball. Options could include using two hands, one hand, high, low, under leg, backwards, left hand only or with a bounce.
- Physical skills: sending and receiving an object; eye-hand coordination; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: self-discovery; creative play; critical thinking; cooperation; listening and following instructions; sharing
Adjust the challenge:
- Use a larger ball.
- Provide children with a list of options to choose from.
- Allow children to use a movement that was already used by another child.
- Increase the speed at which the ball travels around the circle.
- Use a smaller ball.
Activity modified from: Sudbury Children’s Services Physical Activity Resource Guide for Child Care Centres