Equipment: Bean bags
Space requirements: Open space
- Divide the children into two groups; one on each side of the activity space.
- Create a âforbidden zoneâ in the middle by using two existing lines on the floor or by using tape. Distance between lines should be 3-5 metres. Neither group is permitted to enter the forbidden zone.
- Game requires one bean bag for every two children. One group starts with all of the bean bags.
- On the start signal, children kick the bean bags as quickly as possible onto the other group’s side. Children do not kick bean bags that are in the forbidden zone.
- After a designated period of time, the game is stopped and can be set up to play again.
- Physical skills: kicking; eye-foot coordination; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: sharing; cooperation; critical thinking
Adjust the challenge:
- Slide bean bags rather than kicking them.
- Increase the size of the “forbidden zone” to encourage children to kick the bean bags farther.
Activity modified from: Active for Life