Age: Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten
Equipment: Tape or chalk
Space requirements: Open space
- Mark two lines with making tape or chalk. This will represent a river.
- The middle is the river and the sides are the banks.
- Call out the following actions and have children more as identified: on the bank, in the river, in and out of the river, straddle the river, make a bridge over the river.
- Physical skills: coordination; bending; reaching; jumping; balancing
- Non-physical skills: listening and following instruction; self-discovery; processing information; recognizing directions
Adjust the challenge:
- Make the river smaller.
- Call the actions quicker.
Activity modified from: A Hop, Skip and a Jump: Enhancing Physical Literacy (2nd Edition)