Age: Infant, Toddler
Equipment: Cardboard box, rope
Space requirements: Small space
- Turn a small cardboard box into a wagon by making a small hole in the side. Push a thick rope through and tie knots on both ends.
- Encourage your child to pull the box toward them or drag it behind them as they move.
- Show your child how to put items into the box and take them out again.
- Physical skills: crawling; pulling; manipulating an object; eye-hand coordination
- Non-physical skills: self-discovery; creative play
Adjust the challenge:
- Use a small box and a shorter rope which will be easier to pull.
- Set up obstacles for your child to maneuver around such as pillows to climb over or chairs to crawl under.
Activity modified from: Manitoba in motion Kids in motion: An Early Start to Physical Activity for Infants, Toddlers and Preschoolers