Space requirements: Small space, Open space
- Children sit on chairs in a circle.
- Call out “change right” or “change left” and the children stand up and move seats accordingly.
- Physical skills: balancing; bending; changing position
- Non-physical skills: listening and following instruction; learning directions; processing information quickly
Adjust the challenge:
- Start by saying the commands slowly.
- Have children sit in rows instead. The children at the ends of the rows will move to the other end of the row to the vacant seat if there is no seat beside them to move into.
- Incorporate other physical challenges into the commands such as spin in a circle or jump 3 times.
Activity modified from: Sudbury Children’s Services Physical Activity Resource Guide for Child Care Centres