Age: Toddler, Preschool
Equipment: Construction paper
Space requirements: Small space
- Tape different colours of construction paper around the room.
- Children move around the space and when the leader identifies, children select a colour to stand near.
- Select a child and ask them to identify the colour they are standing near. Children can also be asked to name something that is the same colour in the room.
- Children move around the room again and select another colour to stand near.
- The game continues until all children have been called upon to identify their colour.
- Physical skills: movement skills; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: colour recognition; decision making; critical thinking
Adjust the challenge:
- Instead of colours, you could use shapes, numbers or letters.
Activity modified from: A Hop, Skip and a Jump: Enhancing Physical Literacy (2nd Edition)