Age: Preschool, Kindergarten
Equipment: Hopscotch grids (or make your own with tape or chalk), stones
Space requirements: Open space
- Use tape or chalk to set up a grid with numbers 1-10.
- Children start by throwing a stone into the number 1 square.
- Children jump through the course, avoiding the square with the stone.
- Once the child has reached the number 10 square, they turn around and head back to the starting point.
- When the get back to the square with the stone, the bend over to pick it up.
- The game repeats with the stone being thrown into squares 2-10.
- Physical skills: hopping; reaching; bending; balancing; eye-hand coordination
- Non-physical skills: self-discovery; creative play; number recognition
Adjust the challenge:
- Have children jump with two feet rather than hop on one.
- Increase the number of squares.