Age: Preschool, Kindergarten
Equipment: Hula hoops, variety of objects
Space requirements: Open space
- Scatter hula hoops throughout the space. In each hoop, place an object (or several objects depending on the number of children) that the children can manipulate.
- Children move around the space and when prompted, children find a hoop to stand in. More than one child can stand in a hoop.
- Children manipulate the object in their hoop (e.g., bounce a ball, throw a scarf, balance a beanbag).
- Physical skills: movement skills; throwing; catching; spatial awareness; eye-hand coordination
- Non-physical skills: decision making; critical thinking; self-discovery; creative play
Adjust the challenge:
- Use more hoops.
- Use more objects in each hoop to allow the children to choose the object they will be successful with.
- Each round, encourage the children to find a new hoop to stand in and a different object to manipulate.
- Have children manipulate the object with a partner.