Space requirements: Open space
- Children stand side by side at a line on one side of the activity area.
- Select a child to be a crocodile who stands in the middle of the space.
- Children call out “Crocodile, crocodile may we cross your golden river?” Crocodile replies “Only if you are wearing the colour…”
- The children who are wearing the identified colour pass to the other side of the activity area.
- The crocodile then says âCrunch, munch I need my lunchâ and the remaining children run to the other side of the activity area while being chased by the crocodile.
- Any children who are tagged become addition crocodiles and help chase during the next round.
- Physical skills: running, spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: colour recognition; cooperation
Adjust the challenge:
- Children walk rather than run.
- Rather than multiple crocodiles, children who are tagged perform an on-the-spot activity and then rejoin the other children.
- Try skipping, walking like a crab or walking backwards.
Activity modified from: Saskatchewan in motion Daily Physical Activity Manual