Age: Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten
Equipment: Cotton balls or pom poms, clothes pins, basket
Space requirements: Open space
- Spread out cotton balls or pom poms throughout the activity area.
- Provide each child with a clothes pin.
- Children run to pick up the cotton balls using the clothes pins.
- The cotton balls are then returned to a basket in the middle of the activity area.
- Physical skills: running; eye-hand coordination; fine motor development; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: sharing; cooperation; problem solving; critical thinking
Adjust the challenge:
- Children walk instead of run.
- Time the children to see how long it takes them to pick up all of the cotton balls. Play again and encourage the children to work together to beat their previous time.
- Have children use their non-dominant hand.
Activity modified from: Sudbury Children’s Services Physical Activity Resource Guide for Child Care Centres