Age: Toddler, Preschool
Equipment: Paper fish
Space requirements: On-the-spot, small space, open space
- Draw, colour and cut out four starfish (in the shape of a star) and four blue fish (any shape).
- Hide the fish around the room for the children to find.
- When they find a starfish, children do star jumps (jumping jacks).
- When they find a blue fish, children run quickly on-the-spot.
- Physical skills: jumping, landing, running; coordination
- Non-physical skills: listening and following instructions; self-discovery; colour recognition
Adjust the challenge:
- Rather than hiding the fish throughout the room, place them in a bag. Children pull a fish out of the bag and perform the identified movement.
- Use more fish with more colours. Have children do a different activity for the different colours.
Activity modified from: LEAP BC (Literacy, Education, Activity and Play) Move