Space requirements: Small space, open space
- Have the children set up in a small circle. There should be 4-6 children in each group to allow for increased participation. If there are more children, use multiple circles.
- Call out a balance for the children to perform and demonstrate what it looks like. Examples include squat, one foot, bending to the side, leaning forward or yoga poses.
- While balancing, children pass a ball around the circle. Children try to pass the ball around the entire circle without anyone dropping the ball or losing their balance.
- Repeat the activity with different balances.
- Physical skills: sending and receiving an object; bending; reaching; balance
- Non-physical skills: sharing; listening and following instruction; cooperation
Adjust the challenge:
- Start with 2-foot balances and progress to 1-foot balances.
- Increase the amount of space between the children.
Activity modified from: Active for Life