Age: Preschool, Kindergarten
Equipment: Letter cards
Space requirements: Small space, open space
- Give each child a card with a letter of the alphabet.
- Children start the game squatting down to the floor.
- Call out different letters of the alphabet. If a child hears their letter called, they jump up high and squat back down.
- If you call the word “alphabet”, all children jump up high and squat back down 5 times.
- Physical skills: jumping; bending; balancing
- Non-physical skills: listening and following instructions; letter recognition
Adjust the challenge:
- Instead of letters, use shapes, colour or numbers.
- Try spelling words for older children.
Activity modified from: Saskatchewan in motion Daily Physical Activity Manual