Space requirements: Open space
- Each child sets up in an open space with a ball.
- Children explore and experiment with bouncing a ball. Challenge the children to bounce the ball in as many ways as they can while keeping the ball in control. Children complete the following challenges:
- Sitting in a straddle position, bounce and catch ball in front, on the right and on the left.
- Kneeling, use two hands to bounce the ball in front and to the right and to the left.
- Standing, continue with the two-handed bouncing, trying not to move their feet.
- Bounce the ball with either the right or left hand, in front, to the right and to the left.
- Bounce the ball at various heights (high, medium and low).
- Physical skills: manipulating an object; eye-hand coordination; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: sharing; self-discovery; creative play
Adjust the challenge:
- Have different balls available and allow children to select the ball which offers the optimal level of challenge for them.
- Children can work with a partner.
- Children can develop a sequence by stringing together movements.
Activity modified from: Ophea Early Learning Resource