Age: Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten
Equipment: Hula hoops
Space requirements: Open space
- Place hula hoops around the activity area which will act like islands.
- Children move around the water (the space between the hoops).
- When you call “shark attack!”, children find an island to stand on to be safe.
- More than one child can stand on an island.
- Physical skills: movement skills; coordination; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: cooperation; sharing; listening and following instructions
Adjust the challenge:
- Have the children move more vigorously in the water, such as galloping or jumping like a frog.
Activity modified from: Active for Life