Age: Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten
Space requirements: On-the-spot
- One child is designated Simon, who stands at the front of the group.
- Simon tells the other children what to do however, the other children only obey the command it is starts with “Simon says…” For example, If Simon says, “Simon says touch your nose”, then the other children touch their nose. If Simon says, “Jump up and down”, the other children should not jump up and down.
- In the traditional version of the game, children who do not follow Simon’s commands, or who follow a command when Simon didn’t say “Simon says…” children are eliminated.
- In this variation of the game, children aren’t eliminated. Everyone continues to play the game after completing a physical task such as 10 jumping jacks.
- Change Simon often.
- Physical skills: movement skills; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: listening and following instructions; critical thinking; self-discovery; creative play
Adjust the challenge:
- Use less vigorous on-the-spot activities such as touching your toes, clapping your hands or reaching up high while on your tip toes.
- Increase the physicality of the tasks and encourage full body movement.