Equipment: Bean bags
Space requirements: Open space
- Have the children set up in a circle, each with a bean bag or crumbled ball of coloured paper.
- Have the children follow you while you walk around the circle singing the bean bag song:
Bean bags, bean bags (children repeat)
Red ones, orange ones (children repeat)
Blue ones, green ones (children repeat)
Lots of different coloured ones (children repeat)
What colour should I choose? (children repeat)
I will choose the _____ one! (choose a colour of bean bag)
- The children holding that colour bean bag toss it underhand into the centre of the circle.
- Repeat the song and pick a different colour until all the colours have been called.
- Physical skills: throwing; eye-hand coordination; aim and accuracy
- Non-physical skills: listening and following instructions; colour recognition; concentration
Adjust the challenge:
- Increase the physicality of the movement around the circle. Instead of walking, change to skipping or jumping.
- Instead of colours, you could draw shapes, numbers or letters onto the bean bags.
- Use a target in the middle of the circle such as a hula hoop.
Activity modified from: A Hop, Skip and a Jump: Enhancing Physical Literacy (2nd Edition)