Age: Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten
Equipment: Candy canes, snow on the ground
Space requirements: Open space
- During winter, hide red and white candy canes (real or plastic) in the snow.
- Have children work together to find as many as they can.
- Encourage children to only bring back one candy cane at a time until they have all been found.
- Physical skills: running; fine motor skills; eye-hand coordination; spatial awareness
- Non-physical skills: sharing; cooperation; self-discovery
Adjust the challenge:
- Children can work in partners to find the candy canes.
- Time the children to see how long it takes them to find all of the candy canes. Play again and encourage the children to beat their previous time.
Activity modified from: go!pei Play